1931 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Park Ward D Back Six Light Saloon GFT22
£35,000.00 | €41,652.28 | $45,359.34

A delightful car, sound, nicely proportioned and all correct, with excellent door fits - closing with a satisfying 'clunk'. It has been with the last owner for 36 years since 1988 when he bought it from us - a significant proportion of its life so far! It has been well cared for and retains gorgeous, original, soft brown leather upholstery, complemented by excellent headlining and carpets, and a sliding sunroof to the front. Although built as a six light saloon, at some point a division has been fitted, making it more like a limousine, but done in such a way that it can be relatively easily removed if desired. Comes with an excellent tool kit, including jack, wheel spanner, hammer, etc in their clips in the engine bay, some extra spares, a large history file, which includes early buff and green logbooks, lots of invoices, various books, and is all-in-all a lovely car, with early characteristics adding to its appeal. Running and driving well, very nicely re-wired in correct, cotton-covered cable, fitted with a stainless-steel exhaust system, and offered serviced and newly MoT tested. Nicely rounded off with a wicker basket on the rear!

 

Chassis No. GFT22                                        Reg No. GX 8290     

 

 

Snippets: An Accountant & an Average Adjuster

James Barclay Peat (1880/1965) took delivery of GFT22 at Park End Ormsby and a few months later registered the car at Wykeham Place in Totteridge.  J. B. Peat was a son of Sir William Barclay Peat (the Barclay was the maiden name of Sir William’s mother Margeret) and his siblings included Harry (accountant & also for the Ministry of Food in WWI & WII), Charles (MP, accountant, cricketer and recipient of the M.C.), Roderick (accountant & recipient in WWI of French Legion d’Honneur, Belgium Order of the Crown  & Luxemburg Order of the Oak Crown, Margaret (married to the artist H. A. Olivier - the uncle of Lawrence Olivier) and Edith who died in 1899 aged just 24.  James B. Peat himself was also an accountant and in 1905 he wed Lucy Birds Slater whose father – the timber importer John Slater – at the time he owned Ty Craig in Llantysilio (a previous owner - Exuperius Pickering - built a canal wharf by the house).  When Lucy & James married the house was “profusely decorated” & cannons were “fired at intervals” prior to them going to Germany for their honeymoon.  By 1935 GFT22 was back on the market & acquired by Charles Barry Cooper of Darley Dene in Addlestone.  This magnificent house, originally called “Tudor House”, was built circa 1855 & demolished in 1960.  C. B Cooper (1887/1949) was an “Average Adjuster”, which is a specialist in marine & engineering insurance claims (as was his father Charles Cooper (1856/1940).  In 1933 the family firm of Charles Cooper & Sons became members of the Baltic Exchange and in 1944 CB Cooper was elected Chairman of the Ass. of Average Adjusters.  After his death in 1949 the Rolls-Royce was bought by Godwin Southon who regularly entered the Ripley Run – he was a known & respected collector of cycling machines & his museum included items such an 1810 invalid chair, 1886 Humber and an 1877 Salvo Quadricycle which was patented by the Englishman Starley in September 1877.  Godwin owned GFT22 until his death in 1965 when it was inherited and sold on by Mrs. J. Richardson.

  • FuelPetrol
  • Body TypesSaloon
  • TransmissionManual
  • Exterior ColourBlack and White
  • Number of doors4
  • Interior ColourDark Brown Leather
  • VIN CodeGX8290
  • Chassis NumberGFT22
  • Year of manufacture1931

Contact Us